Sunday, March 26, 2017

Skincare Review~ The Ordinary by DECIEM

I recently ran out of my old skincare products and decided to give the currently hyped-up brand The Ordinary a try. I purchased four products after scouring the site for hours, as they don't use a ton of  filler ingredients so everything sounds rather scientific.  I suggest you read up on everything before deciding which products to buy.

On the other hand, you can simply follow their Example Regimens to save yourself the hassle!



The first product in my new skincare routine is the Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 which supports hydration and repair.
Photo from website
I'd previously read that hyaluronic acid only provides temporary surface hydration by pulling water FROM your skin rather than from the air TO your skin, leaving your skin feeling temporarily hydrated but ultimately dryer than ever. As it turns out, this is because there are different forms the molecule.  Molecules which are too large sit on the surface of the skin, drawing water OUT if there is not enough moisture in the air.  Using too much straight HA can also have this effect as it can take 1000 times its weight in water, so using too much will result in the moisture of your skin being pulled out.
According to The Ordinary, "This formulation combines low-, medium- and high-molecular weight HA, as well as a next-generation HA crosspolymer at a combined concentration of 2% for multi-depth hydration in an oil-free formula. This system is supported with the addition of Vitamin B5 which also enhances surface hydration. "

This means that after applying this formulation, it's best to add a moisturizer on top so the HA sucks the moisturizer you've applied deep into your skin to provide true hydration.  I use four drops each in the morning and evening.  The water-based formula is absorbed quickly and feels really good on the skin!


Next I use something which is new to me: Advanced Retinoid 2%.  I've not used retinoids, retinols, or retonic acids before.
Photo from website
This is a water-based formula so I apply it before oils.  I think it would be best to ease into using any form of retinoid, and the website cautions "Retinoids can make the skin more sensitive to UV radiation. Sun protection is particularly important when using retinoids. This product must not be used in conjunction with other retinoids including retinol or retinoic acid. This product is not a treatment for acne. Acne-prone skin may experience a temporary increase in acne during the first few weeks of using any form of retinoid including those used in this formulation."

I started out using four drops but found that my skin was not yet used to this and became a bit red and uncomfortable, so I reduced it to two drops in the evening.  Some deep-seated acne I'd had for months finally emerged and I was able to extract them about two to three days after starting this new treatment, even though it says it is not an acne treatment (I do not have acne-prone skin)

This product claims to treat textural irregularities and signs of age which are both things I'd like to see improvement on!!  This also absorbs quickly and easily.  It is a milky color compared to all the others, which are clear.

The third item I bought was Ascorbyl Ttraisopalmitate Solution 20% in Vitamin F.  Basically, a Vitamin C serum, which is common in the skincare industry to treat uneven skin tone.
Photo from website
Because Vitamin C has so many forms and derivatives, The Ordinary provides a chart to help you understand the differences.  I chose this light oil formula for its high potency and low stinging sensation.  In fact, I feel no stinging sensation at all when I used this.  Being a light oil, it glides on very smoothly, but feels almost a bit grainy, thought there are no actual granules to be found, so I'm not sure what that is about??  After a few seconds of massaging in the oil, it is absorbed and the sensation disappears.
This product is intended to treat dullness, uneven tone, and signs of age.  I definitely have some uneven skin tone so I hope this will help!



Finally, I wanted an overall hydrator.  I do have dry patches of skin and I also wanted to maximize the effect of the Hyaluronic Acid product I'd purchased by giving it a moisturizer to draw into deeper layers of skin.

Not understanding much about the hydrators, I went for a pure 100% Plant-Derived Squalane.
Photo from website
The majority of the hydrators are oils, so I went with this one, which can be used on both the skin and the hair if your hair suffers from breakage easily.  The only purpose of this product is hydration and I think it does a wonderful job!  When I apply this in the morning, my skin feels hydrated and soft for the entire day.  I have to remind myself not to keep touching my face because this is the first time something has worked so well for me!
Apply this after water-based treatments and then gently massage it in.  I find that it stays emollient enough do to some facial massage for a minute or two, which feels really good!  


Overall, I'm extremely pleased with all my purchases.  I got free shipping because I spent over US$45, yet each of these products (30ml) have very affordable price tags!  

DECIEM, the mother company, has many lines of products and you can also buy from multiple lines and get them shipped together rather than paying for shipping separately.  You can also return your items for a refund up to one year after purchase!!!  I think you'd use up your products by then!


I placed my order on Feb. 7 and it was shipped on Feb. 21, You can track your order with the provided tracking number, and my order arrived on Feb. 27.

After using this regimen for a month, the biggest difference I've noticed is in hydration.  I definitely plan to repurchase when I run out, and have my eyes on the Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG for the eye area as well as one of the two hydrator formulas which also work as makeup primers.  It's a two-for-one; who can resist?

Have you heard of or tried any DECIEM brands or The Ordinary?  If so, please share in the comments!!  I'd like to know about how other products compare or how the same product performs for other people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts!